DARE Leadership Development Program
DARE (Developing Accelerated Retail Experience) is Walmart Canada’s award-winning leadership development program. It provides new graduates like you a unique development experience that’s designed to let you discover different career paths within the retail environment. Mentored by some of the best leaders in the industry, you will gain crucial business experience and exposure to all aspects of retail while building the skills and relationships that lead to fulfilling careers.
We DARE you
Jumpstart your career.
The DARE program was created to invest in you – Canada's top talent, to show you the ropes and provide a deep understanding of the retail business, as early in your career as possible. We're offering you real-world learning and experience through exposure across diverse facets of the business while receiving the support & opportunity to get noticed, and make your mark with a global retail giant. You'll discover different career paths within retail and explore career options at Walmart Canada in areas such as merchandising, eCommerce, supply chain, and store operations.
You will Learn, Lead, and Leverage your operational learnings regardless of the path you choose.
- 2 to 2.5 years of critical business learning
- Exposure to different business functions within Walmart Canada
- The opportunity to work on real-world challenges
- 1-on-1 mentorship with business leaders
- The chance to make an immediate impact on Walmart Canada's performance in the market.
For the past two years, top students across Canada have recognized DARE as the Best Grad program.
An exciting career can be yours... if you DARE.
"As a DARE associate, Walmart invested in me, through cross-functional work experience, mentorship, and unique training programs."
Amanda S. - Program Manager, eCommerce Supply Chain, Walmart Canada
Your DARE Journey
Walmart's DARE is a rotational program that has three phases:
Foundational Learning in Store Operations (One year)
You'll start your Walmart Canada journey by working with front-line leaders in our stores. You will learn about our daily operations and how to problem-solve in a fast-paced environment.
Store Support Centre (SSC) Rotations (Six months)
You'll experience hands-on responsibility and exposure to business-critical roles at our Canadian corporate head office.
You can choose to continue your rotation at SSC where you can pursue a role in areas such as merchandising, eCommerce or supply chain for 6 months, or lead store operations as an Assistant or Co-Manager at one of our Walmart stores for one year.
"DARE allowed me the opportunity to explore my interest in omni-channel, lead the launch of a pilot program, and gain leadership experience in the field– all while receiving plenty of mentorship, support, and exposure from key leaders in the business."
Mariam K. - Store Co-Manager, Walmart Canada
So, you want to apply to the DARE program? Here are just a few qualifications we are looking for!
- Must be graduating from an undergraduate OR graduate degree program with expected graduation in Dec 2020 - Spring 2021
- Demonstrated leadership through extracurricular activity or volunteer work
- Have a passion for the retail industry and a strong interest in merchandising, eCommerce, supply chain/logistics or store operations
- Demonstrates a personal drive for excellence
- Lives Walmart Canada's core values: service to the customer, strive for excellence, respect for the individual, and act with integrity
- Must be customer-centric and a team player
- Have excellent communication skills
- Thrives in a fast-changing, ever-evolving environment
- Must be eligible to legally work in Canada
"There is tremendous respect for the DARE program in the organization and you notice that early on. The relationships you build during the rotations are invaluable."
Umer R. - Merchandise Planner, Walmart Canada
Learn more about DARE
Walmart is looking for the next generation of leaders; the next movers and shakers of the Canadian retail landscape. Join us at one of our virtual information sessions to find out more about the DARE Program and become a Walmart leader of tomorrow!
Information Session 1: September 1st, 2020 3:00PM – 4:00PM EST
Information Session 2: September 3rd, 2020 3:00PM – 4:00PM EST
Information Session 3: September 8th, 2020 5:30PM – 6:30PM EST
Information Session 4: September 10th, 2020 5:00PM – 6:00PM EST
To register for a virtual information session, please email your full name, the information session you would like to attend, the university and program you are graduating from, and the month and year you are graduating to DAREcanada@walmart.com.
Think you’re ready for DARE?
Proudly in partnership with: